Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Surveillance via bogus SSL certificates

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 22:07:02 PDT 2010

my bad.i meant disable/remove the certificate from the browser and not
'revoke' as such.

Also curious, what is the browser's audit mechanism of the CA? what safeguards
do the audit provide end users like us from malicious CA's and how is the
audit carried out?

    Is a non disclosure agreement signed between the browser and the CA?

    Doesn't the following attack model also work. Say we have rouge
intermediate CA X(trusted by the bowser) itself issuing a certificate to
BankofA.com. Note: BankofA.com never requested this certificate from CA X.
BankofA has its legitimate certificate issued by (say for example Verisign).
Now, say that is possible to carry out a MITM attack at the end user (bank's
client) ISP.

When the end user opens BankofA.com on the browser, with the MITM in place -
the fake certificate issued by CA X will be presented to the end user. The end
user's browser trusts CA X and no red flags are raised. If any monetary
transactions are carried out, all the money can be funneled out.

Thank you,
Sarad AV