Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Surveillance via bogus SSL certificates

Rayservers rayservers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 06:57:40 PDT 2010

On 04/05/10 07:37, Sarad AV wrote:
> --- On Sat, 4/3/10, Dave Howe <DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> From: Dave Howe <DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk> Subject: Re: Fwd: [ PRIVACY Forum ]
>> Surveillance via bogus SSL      certificates To: "Email List - Cypherpunks"
>> <cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net> Date: Saturday, April 3, 2010, 4:19 PM
>> Rayservers wrote:
>>> I have proposed that we strip out ALL outside
>> certificate authorities from an
>>> open source browser, and distribute such... and to
>> practice what I preach, I
>>> just went into FF and nuked the bunch - and whee, I
>> can connect, verify the cert
>>> and login :). The USER - a la monkey sphere - has to
>> decide if she trusts the
>>> Certificate Authority - who the hell are they anyway?
>> And to answer my own
>>> rhetorical question - those that issue the highest
>> TRUST certificates to
>>> licensed scammers a.k.a. the banks. I do not trust a
>> single one of the
>>> recommendations of official CAs. If I am forced, like
>> one has to in this world -
>>> to visit a bank website, I can figure out how much I
>> distrust them all by
>>> myself. All I want to know is "am I visiting the same
>> site again"... and a "self
>>> signed" cert is all I need, "ssh style". And yes, I
>> love the monkeysphere
>>> approach which would add meaningful levels of trust to
>> that choice. And no -
>>> there is no difference in my trust level if the cert
>> says "self signed" or
>>> "fairysign super duper" perhaps the former is better!
>> - at least fairysign
>>> cannot go off and bless the MITM - especially of any
>> sites I run!
>>
>> Its a nice theory, but doesn't cover first-visit scenarios, nor the yearly
>> rekey grind of giving CAs (large amounts of) money for the results of a
>> fairly easy math problem.
>

> The first visit scenario is definitely an issue. that brings it to the other

It is an issue similar to the issue of trust when you walk into a bazaar - a
free market with *many* of two kinds of people: *buyers* and *sellers*.

By requiring everyone to have an "identity" card from the Queen of England**
herself, it just makes the Queen more equal than anyone else. Soon, you cannot
do business selling tomatoes grown in your backyard without a special license
from the Queen - to ensure that you only used "approved" seeds... and on it goes.

Grow up people - you have to do the work of learning to trust - all by yourself.

You better learn quick that trusting your friends is better than trusting the
Queen of England herself - for neither you nor I know the Queen, and it seems
she is a prisoner of certain people.

If, on the first visit, you are using a poisoned DNS system, or on a compromised
operating system, then foo on you. The future will have neither, except at the
option of the losers who wish to be losers.

Cheers,

---Venkat.

** Just picking a familiar Head of State, it could very well be your CA, a petty
government official, the Drivers License bureau, or some Wizard from the Land of
Oz. It does seem though, that the Queen of England is herself a prisoner to
certain powers, so how do you know that Fairysign is not?