FileVault on other than home directories on MacOS?

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 22 05:57:36 PDT 2009

Ivan Krsti  wrote:
>TrueCrypt is a fine solution and indeed very helpful if you need
>cross-platform encrypted volumes; it lets you trivially make an
>encrypted USB key you can use on Linux, Windows and OS X. If you're
>*just* talking about OS X, I don't believe TrueCrypt offers any
>advantages over encrypted disk images unless you're big on conspiracy
>theories.

Note my information may be out of date.  I believe that MacOS native
encrypted disk images (and thus FileVault) uses AES in CBC mode without
any integrity protection, the Wikipedia article seems to confirm that is
 (or at least was) the case http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileVault

There is also a sleep mode issue identified by the NSA:

http://crypto.nsa.org/vilefault/23C3-VileFault.pdf

TrueCrypt on the other hand uses AES in XTS mode so you get
confidentiality and integrity.

--
Darren J Moffat

----- End forwarded message -----