attack of the drones

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 09:50:03 PDT 2009

The New Yorker last week had an interesting article on this and also described
the drone "pilots" as residing in the US.

However, there's something a little unclear here: Pure speed-of-light
limitations would add, you'd think, unacceptable latency (a couple of
seconds?).

Does this mean there's some kind of automatic lock-on that commits the drone
to fire upon targets, or is there some kind of propaganda-typre reason why the
gubmint would go out of it's way to make it appear that the operators are in
the US?

-TD

> Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:58:21 -0400
> To: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
> From: jya at pipeline.com
> Subject: Re: attack of the drones
>
> We would appreciate information the sites the Air Force is
> using for remote controls of the drones in AFPAK.
>
> As noted earlier, there are reports that CIA built
> "quonset huts" at its HQ in Langley to remotely
> control its killers. These huts, actually quick-built
> rectangular structures, can be seen on Bing.com
> adjacent to the vaulted dining rooms.
>
> Drone pilots -- AF, Customs, CIA, whoever -- are
> trained at Cheech Air Force Base, NV, a small base
> north of Beale AFB, but it has not been reported that
> long-range remote control is being done from Cheech,
> by the AF or anyone else. But could be.
>
> We understood the AF was contolling closer to the
> targets.
>
> For long-range, we saw AF photos today of:
>
> "The U.S. Navy's first operational Global Hawk flying
> from Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md., to an airbase
> in Southwest Asia."
>
> Locations of remote control were not described.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/default.aspx?CBID=wl&ocid=PID24727:
:T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_pcscout:102009