Outlaw Biology Symposium and Faire, UCLA, Jan 29-30, Call for Ideas

JonathanCline jncline at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:42:18 PDT 2009

On Oct 21, 5:46 pm, Simon Quellen Field <sfi... at scitoys.com> wrote:

> If you're worried about the government tracking you for associating with
> this
> list, you are reading too many thrillers.

Some of us are definitely on some government watch list for being on
this group.  (With that said, it's not such a big deal to be tracked
by the government.  Many researchers are.)  Search the archives for
"Monitor 360."  The results were presented to a government agency with
three letter acronym.  I saw the "film canister" project on your web
site -- I used to build those too, in grade school -- nowadays those
kinds of projects really do get kids in trouble.  The stimulus bill of
2009 also included $100 million or more for funding of specific
government agencies for homeland security, including biosecurity.  The
previous homeland security measures allocated resources similarly.
The government has the money, the time, and the tumor-like growth to
cause pain (in addition to doing good as well) to private citizens
exercising free rights.   It's better to be transparent though, I'd
say (meaning private citizens with any concern should advertise what
they're doing, in the most boring techno-speak possible, so much so,
that no one, including government, cares at all).  Just say "no" to
sensationalism.   Unless it's positive-spin sensationalism.   (By that
guideline, "outlaw" does not jive.)  Technological innovation has been
hampered -- truly hampered -- due to government protectionist
policies, as well as "public perception".  So to exacerbate this, by
adding even 1% towards negative sensationalism, is foolish.

## Jonathan Cline
## jcline at ieee.org
## Mobile: +1-805-617-0223

----- End forwarded message -----