[p2p-hackers] Announcing SocialVPN version 0.3

Renato Figueiredo renato at acis.ufl.edu
Tue Oct 6 06:40:03 PDT 2009

Dear p2p-hackers,

We have a new version of the open-source (GPL v2) SocialVPN P2P software
that might be of interest to some of you:

http://socialvpn.org

This system self-organizes P2P VPN links among peers connected by an online
social network. It builds on the Brunet P2P library and the IPOP overlay
developed by the ACIS P2P group at U. Florida, supporting transparent NAT
traversal and dynamic IP address/DNS name allocation and translation.

Key improvements over the Facebook-based version announced in this list a
while ago include:
- the use of XMPP for peer discovery and certificate exchange (it's been
tested with Google chat as well as with ejabberd)
- a Web-based user interface, and
- code/API re-structuring to facilitate programming of bindings to other
online social networks by external developers.

We run a public bootstrap overlay on PlanetLab; our code is hosted at
GitHub, and we have binaries for Linux and Windows available for download.
If you are interested in using or developing around this system, please feel
free to contact us.

Regards,
--rf

----- End forwarded message -----