UK jails schizophrenic for refusal to decrypt files

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 29 05:14:42 PST 2009

What if the guy simply can't remember the key? You don't even need to be
schizophrenic for that.

The schizophrenia angle could work, however: Stego that key inside a video
file from Disney, which itself has been encrypted. Claim, "This is the
original version that Disney has been hiding from us that give marching orders
to Satan's Army". They might stop right there.

Hum...a question. Years ago we asked whether the presence of Stego in a
photograph could be detected by alteration in the photo's spacial frequencies.
The answer, I believe, was yes.* This would appear to me to be far harder
computationally** to detect in video, particularly if the stego is in essence
spread-spectrumed within the video stream.

*: There seemed to be some fairly clear energy density in the stego photo's
FFT that filtering agents could rapidly detect and then use to forward over to
the Beltway area for future examination.

**: I've argued that, although it may be impossible to have perfect
uncrackability, making the task far harder computationally provides better
cover for all of us.

-TD

> Subject: Re: UK jails schizophrenic for refusal to decrypt files
> From: teddks at gmail.com
> To: eugen at leitl.org
> CC: info at postbiota.org; cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
> Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:03:10 -0500
>
> I don't know if this man's bravery is due to his "schizophrenia" (seemed
> pretty normal to me, but I suppose this article is hardly an adequate
> source) or just good old-fashion badassery.
>
> This would be a Cypherpunk Bingo dream: arrest for crimethink books,
> arrest for refusal to give up a key, maintaining silence in the face of
> prosecution, "the terrorists are going to use this",
> guilty-until-proven-innocent "nobody will know you don't have child
> porn", and finally:
>
> > One file encrypted using software from the German firm Steganos was
> > cracked, but investigators found only another PGP container.
>
> Beautiful.
>
> [demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which
had a name of signature.asc]

http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/default.aspx?ocid=PID24727::T:WLMT
AGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_evergreen:112009v2