Incentives in Networking

Rayservers rayservers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 14:59:15 PST 2009

On 11/23/09 22:34, coderman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Rayservers <rayservers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Incentives in Networking
>>
>> Too long has the community of anonymity software writers ignored the tragedy of
>> the commons. If each tor router could advertise a price for amount of megabytes
>> transferred, it would be a self healing system.
>
> why is monetary compensation required for fairness? the bittorrent
> protocol with tit for tat is far from perfect but it is also the
> dominant protocol on the net and encourages fairness without monetary
> settlement. there are other examples.
>
> lucre is but one of many incentives, why do you assume it is the only solution?

I said price and I also said tokens on another node. It could be peanuts or oil
or music or whatever - perhaps donuts. Exchange value for value. At the end of
that chain... I go buy a donut.

Sure, you can trade points, hashcash, torrentpoints... how do I, who run an ISP,
go buy a donut? tit-for-that. lol.

Cheers,

---Venkat.