[zfs-discuss] zfs eradication

David Magda dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca
Tue Nov 10 18:20:31 PST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 20:55, Mark A. Carlson wrote:

>Typically this is called "Sanitization" and could be done as part of
>an evacuation of data from the disk in preparation for removal.
>
>You would want to specify the patterns to write and the number of
>passes.

See also "remanence":

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_remanence

(S)ATA actually has a protocol command ("secure erase") that will
cause the disk to over write all of its sectors, and not be usable
until its done. This doesn't exist in SCSI / SAS / FC as far as I know.

Generally speaking one over write is sufficient to prevent data from
being accessible, but various government standards specify anywhere
between one and four passes:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure

Degaussing or complete destruction is usually necessary for the "top
secret" stuff. DBAN is a useful (open-source) utility that I tend to
recommend for regular folk:

	http://www.dban.org/

While it could be useful, there are penalties in various jurisdictions
for leaking data (especially with government-related stuff), so I'm
not sure if Sun would want to potentially expose itself to
inappropriate use that doesn't clean everything properly.

With ZFS encryption coming up, it could be sufficient to have your
data sets encrypted and then simply "forget" the key. The data is
still technically there, but (theoretically) completely inaccessible.

----- End forwarded message -----