IETF goes to Beijing (was re: Background on IETF 79 Decision)

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon Nov 9 02:50:36 PST 2009

> violate the law, the IAOC has been assured by the Host that a normal
> IETF
> meeting can be legally held in China and that no pre-screening of
> material
> or monitoring of session content is required or will be done.

"They swore they'd only put the head in. We believe 'em. We really,
really, do."

> The IAOC is confident that a successful IETF meeting can (and will) be
> held in Beijing; that it will be run in the fashion that it always
> has,
> using the tools that it always has, discussing the usual topics, and
> with
> a critical mass of the traditional participants.

"We can trust *them*. They're *not* like the *others*."

Cheers,
RAH
-------

Begin forwarded message:

From: "IAOC Chair <bob.hinden at gmail.com>"@core3.amsl.com
Date: November 9, 2009 3:28:46 AM GMT-04:00
To: IETF Announcement list <ietf-announce at ietf.org>
Subject: Background on IETF 79 Decision

Earlier today the IAOC announced its decision to hold IETF 79 in Beijing
China.  This email is intended to provide some background concerning
that
decision.

During the course of contract negotiations with the hotel the community
was asked via email lists and by survey about a specific provision in
the
contract.  Your feedback guided us in our efforts.  We are happy to
report
that the provision has been removed from the contract.

Minutes are forthcoming, however the text of the motion that the IAOC
passed unanimously by a roll call vote is below.

violate the law, the IAOC has been assured by the Host that a normal
IETF
meeting can be legally held in China and that no pre-screening of
material
or monitoring of session content is required or will be done.

The IAOC is confident that a successful IETF meeting can (and will) be
held in Beijing; that it will be run in the fashion that it always has,
using the tools that it always has, discussing the usual topics, and
with
a critical mass of the traditional participants.

We are looking forward to the IETF's first meeting in the People's
Republic of China.

Bob Hinden
IAOC Chair

IETF 79 Beijing Venue Motion Adopted by IAOC 29 October 2009

Whereas the Shangri-La Beijing Hotel is able to provide qualified
meeting
space, technical infrastructure, and guest rooms under one roof for IETF
79,

Whereas the costs for guest rooms, meeting space, and food and beverage
are judged reasonable,

Whereas the Special Agreements provision of the Hotel contract that had
been the subject of a community survey and on IETF lists has been
removed
and thus the objection of many to onsite participation,

Whereas the Host has negotiated a contract with the Venue under terms
and
conditions that are now acceptable

Whereas the Host has assured the IAOC that 'a normal IETF meeting can be
legally held in China and that no pre-screening of material or
monitoring
of session content is required or will be done,'

Whereas the IAOC, based on the assurances of the Host and a history of
the venue successfully hosting major international conferences that
relate
to our industry, believes a normal IETF meeting can be held at the
venue.

Whereas the IAOC heard all arguments made on the list, and made its
determination on the ability to hold a successful meeting i.e. run it
in a
fashion as we always have, using the tools that we always have, with a
critical mass of the traditional participants, discussing the usual
topics.

Whereas the Meetings Subcommittee has recommended the approval of the
Hotel contract by the IAOC,

Resolved that because the special provisions in the hotel contract have
been removed and the IAOC has received assurances from the host that it
can hold a normal IETF meeting as described above, the IAOC approves the
venue contract between the Host and the Hotel and authorizes the Host to
execute the contract with the Hotel, and

Further, that the IAOC approves Beijing, China as the site for IETF 79
in
November 2010 upon the execution of the venue contract and an Agreement
between the Internet Society and the Host regarding the responsibilities
and roles of the Internet Society under the hotel contract.