managing and protecting nyms...

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Sat Nov 7 05:36:40 PST 2009

Ted Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-06 at 15:59 -0500, Roy M. Silvernail wrote:

>> Hey, it's great to relive the classics! :)
>
> And it's great to have a front-row seat to the replay, for us
> second-generation cypherpunks who never saw the original!

Second-generation?  Man, do I feel old!

Detweiler's rantings may not be fully accurate, but they do serve to
outline the basic ideas of pseudonymity.  They're worth a visit, if only
for some historical perspective.

http://sattlers.org/mickey/culture/humor/items/Geekish/theoryOfNymity.html

As well, Tim May's Cyphernomicon has some good info about reputation
capital.

https://www.cypherpunks.to/faq/cyphernomicron/chapter15.html

Cory Docterow calls reputation capital "Whuffie", and goes into some
detail on how it might work (assuming a slightly sci-fi infrastructure
in the bargain).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whuffie

Even without Docterow's Whuffie meter, repcap exists today. There are
quite a few nyms that I trust to be reputable, even though I've never
met them in person and don't know their True Names.

Welcome to the Other Plane.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT