managing and protecting nyms...

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 5 17:15:09 PST 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 23:05 +0000, John Case wrote:
> I should have asked this years ago when there was more traffic/users on
> this list (and I was using a different nym[1]) ... but years ago there was
> not such established proof of data correlation in "anonymized" data sets
> (netflix, "anonymized" medical data, etc.)
[...]
> These actions are probably not robust.  My thought is that it can lower my
> common profiles below the noise threshold that a particular aggregator
> might have.
>
> What do _you_ do to sanitize/de-correlate your nyms ?

I don't. I only use a nym for things that need to appear to have been
done by a third party, or for other reasons should not be traceable back
to Shawn K. Quinn.

Someone who I am currently not on speaking terms with once "clarified"
his/her position by stating her online and in-person personas were
different; his/her online persona made it appear he/she was more
approachable than he/she actually was. I simply don't play that game.

I do follow cypherpunk topics, I use PGP/GnuPG, Tor, Mixmaster, Freenet,
GNUnet, etc. from time to time, but for the most part, I'm not nearly as
paranoid as I used to be. For better or for worse. Hell, I quit
channeling my Google queries through Tor some time ago (I still only
accept session cookies from Google, and that's only to make the services
work that require a Google account).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at speakeasy.net>