Internet censorship

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 06:17:25 PST 2009

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> Maybe we need something like Echelon Day, but with the intent of
> overloading the Internet filters.  A small script/program should do it -
> just a simple HEAD of websites on the filter list, maybe setting the
> user agent to something meaningful like 'NoCensorship2009!'.
>
> A HEAD will mean that we're not downloading actual content, but it would
> still be wise to ensure that URLs are not _illegal_, just blocked.

Don't even have to do that. For the UK solution, the entire *site* is
redirected to the url-checking server, who then passes though "clean"
urls, and blocks "bad" ones.

So, best choice is to visit squeaky clean pages. Lots of them,
preferably ones with lots of image content the checking server will need
to proxy, and as wide a range as possible to invalidate the caching.