[Opensim-dev] Technical assessment of Cable Beach asset server

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Thu Jan 15 08:47:00 PST 2009

Eugen Leitl kirjoitti:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 02:10:13PM +0900, Mike Mazur wrote:
> As an aside from the peanut gallery, it would be nice to have asset
> storage in a distributed cryptographic filestore like Tahoe
> http://allmydata.org/~warner/pycon-tahoe.html

that has been my understanding as well. basically after worked a bit
with the guys who pushed it in the Fenfire project (in 2002).

i've understood that basically by using URIs as references to assets we
get that: URLs for current http stuff and location independent URNs with
distributed things like p2p networks. seems that Tahoe also uses "short
URI-like strings" - dunno why 'URI-like' and not just URIs but anyway :)
.. also as SL and OpenSim already uses UUIDs i guess some things are
basically kind of ready for this.

http://www.ht03.org/papers/pdfs/24.pdf is about the work in that area i
was interested back long ago, dunno about the current implementations
whether Tapestry, that Tahoe or something I haven't heard of is the
thing, but i guess the basic idea is the same. in that Fenfire Storm the
idea was to use content based hashes as IDs of files (like images),
similar to Freenode -- the goal not being anonymous publishing in a
secure p2p net, but instead having a nice storage system for both local
own files and publishing them on the net. goals included the secure
storage via redundancy, that seems to be emphasized in Tahoe and is
indeed a great motivation for these things.

looking forward to learning more, perhaps by testing Tahoe
~Toni

----- End forwarded message -----