facemining

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Feb 14 08:37:53 PST 2009

http://blog.omnigroup.com/2009/02/06/from-the-wish-wed-thought-of-this-file/

 From the bWish webd thought of thisb fileb& posted by Brian on 02.06.09 @
2:43 pm

OmniGraffle

One of the best aspects of doing the work that we do is getting to see the
really cool stuff that customers do with the tools we make. One such nugget
of awesome came to us last Friday, when we got an email with this AppleScript
as an attachment:

faces-v2

[Update: If you downloaded an earlier version of the script and it didn't
work, try the updated one above. It handles the '~' in the iPhoto library
preference now].

The script makes use of the new Faces feature of iPhoto b09. It looks for
named faces in your library, then creates an OmniGraffle document showing
which ones appear in photos together. At that point, it fires off
OmniGrafflebs automatic layout feature. Ibll let the scriptbs author, Armin
Briegel, describe the results:

    bIt probably depends on your picture taking habits, but in my graph you
can pick out families and groups of people, such as my sonbs classmates. The
big mess in the middle is obviously our closest friends and families. But
even there the families are in close proximity to each other.b

In any case, this gets our robot-stamp of approval, so we thought other folks
might want to check it out, as well. Enjoy!