NSA offering 'billions' for Skype eavesdrop solution

Adam Fields cryptography23094893 at aquick.org
Fri Feb 13 17:19:21 PST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:24:35AM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> Counter Terror Expo: News of a possible viable business model for P2P
> VoIP network Skype emerged today, at the Counter Terror Expo in London.
> An industry source disclosed that America's supersecret National
> Security Agency (NSA) is offering "billions" to any firm which can
> offer reliable eavesdropping on Skype IM and voice traffic.

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/12/nsa_offers_billions_for_skype_pwnage/

Of course, this could just be a smokescreen to try to convince people
that they can't already do it.

The voice traffic may be hard to break, but the fact that every client
can download my entire IM history when logging into a new machine kind
of kills the "it's p2p so we can't track it" argument. Those messages
are stored somewhere.

--
				- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://workstuff.tumblr.com ] ........... Technology Blog
[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Personal Blog