The New Paranoia: Hedge-Funders Are Bullish on Gold, Guns, and Inflatable Lifeboats

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 7 09:51:15 PST 2009

I still remember doing some Y2K work down at DSC on the day they were
purchased by Alcatel (I think it was).

Back in the digital switch area there were two characters, one an old
drinker-nosed Texan named "Sonny" the other a young 20-something.

The young guy kept making fun of Sonny pointing out that the only thing Sonny
had that was worthwhile was his gun stockpile.

He said his own plan for surviving Y2K (in the event something actually
happened, which none of us seriously considered) was that he was just going to
go over to Sonny's house, kill Sonny, and grab his stockpile and provisions.
(Oh, and he told us this with Sonny standing right there.)

Me, if there's actually a scenario like The Road, well I'm not that interested
in surviving. But if I had to do something I'd just hole up in NYC and try to
figure out how to survive in the whole new barter economy.

-TD

> From: jya at pipeline.com
> Subject: Re: The New Paranoia: Hedge-Funders Are Bullish on Gold, Guns,
and  Inflatable Lifeboats

> Har. This is another effort to boost buying and hoarding of gold
> as if it will be worth more than evanescent financial data.
>
> Gold won't be worth shit in a collapse. Those with guns won't
> know how to defend their families when being hunted as food
> by large gangs long-accustomed to getting by without financial
> security fantasies.
>
> Those in bunkers will be smelled at the vent outlets and dug out
> like tasty bunnies shaking in a burrow. Offering the grubbers a
> gold bar to go away, pretty please, will buy a prime spot on the
> roasting spit.
>
> Shooting a digger, or a dozen or two, will bring hundreds more
> to the feast. Best bludgeon your loved ones to death with the
> worthless gold.
>
> Why idiot money-grubbers think precious metal protection is a
> safe harbor to be defended with popguns in the outback reminds
> of what Libertarianism will be reduced to when the cops join
> the brutes take all of it back where it belongs.
>
> Any case, these fictional scare stories only appeal to those
> who never learned physical labor, believed mind work was the
> same, don't pity their willful ignorance. Call them bosses, or
> worse, investors, even worse, seers of what's needed for
> survival.
>
> Now let me show you a surefire way to eternal life, and don't
> insult my fancy headdress.

Windows Live: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t1_allup_howitworks_02200
9