managing and protecting nyms...

John Case case at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Dec 7 22:21:08 PST 2009

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009, Tyler Durden wrote:

> As the population increases and physical world collateral goes to zero, seems
> to me the only thing many humans will "own" is their reputation: Their
> physical world assets will be uninteresting or negligible. Is this the same
> thing as anonymity?

The population may very well increase, and the true value of physical
collateral may indeed go to zero (how much is that big circa-2006 flat
panel and that big luxury SUV wih a chevy truck under the body pieces
actually worth ?)

But that does not mean that the average reputation will be worth anything,
or that physical goods (of substance) are worthless.  It just means that a
lot of people are poor.

> Of course, many folks will have many reputations and will choose to burn one
> every now and then to cash in or take a big risk. But even now it's possible
> to detect when a reputation is about to blow and so any loans are quickly
> ramped down.

Or a no-knock raid is quickly ramped up.  A reputation can be "about to
blow" in all kinds of ways.