Re: Feds ‘Pinged’ Sprint GPS Data 8 Million Times Over a Year

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Wed Dec 2 08:48:58 PST 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, coderman wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > Sprint Nextel provided law enforcement agencies with customer location data
> > more than 8 million times between September 2008 and October 2009...
>
> i am more interested in the redacted details of this little snippet:
>
>     "Our pricing schedules reveal (for just two examples) that upon
> the lawful request of law enforcement we are able to [XXX two examples
> redacted by USMS XXX]. In cooperation with law enforcement, we do not
> release that information to the general public out of concern that a
> criminal may become aware of our capabilities, see a change in his
> service, correctly assume that the change was made at the lawful
> request of law enforcement and alter his behavior to thwart a law
> enforcement investigation."
>
> what two examples of lawful intercept on Verizon lines would introduce
> a subtle "change in service" detectable by someone paying attention?

Preventing reliable call connections to certain numbers from succeeding
comes to mind.

--
Yours,
J.A. Terranson

"Never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public
plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to
the public welfare, never be satisfied with merely printing news, always
be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by
predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

Joseph Pulitzer
1907 Speech