Tor Browser Bundle for Gnu/Linux: a new hope

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Aug 28 02:31:21 PDT 2009

[I utterly fail at sending email after hacking for 18 hours.]

Hi,

I've been hacking on creating a Tor Browser Bundle for Gnu/Linux. It's
starting to get off of the ground. After I ensure that it's stable, I'll
move onto to making the Tor Browser Bundle for Mac OS X. Your feedback
and testing is greatly appreciated!

The current TBBL alpha includes Firefox, Openssl, zlib, Qt, Vidalia,
Polipo, Tor and it's all wrapped up in a nice package. It's intended to
be used on USB devices. It's designed to run on Debian Gnu/Linux systems
and may also work on Ubuntu. This is a limitation of my build
environment and if others want to help, we can make it work on many
different Gnu/Linux systems.

Here's the url where I've published current alpha builds of the TBBL:

 http://freehaven.net/~ioerror/tbb/index.html

Download the bundle for your locale and verify it's signature:

 gpg --verify tor-browser-gnu-linux-1.2.4-alpha-de.tar.gz.asc
 gpg: Signature made Fri 28 Aug 2009 01:52:27 AM PDT using DSA key ID
9D0FACE4
 gpg: Good signature from "Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>"

If the signature verifies, unpack it:

 tar -xvzf tor-browser-gnu-linux-1.2.4-alpha-de.tar.gz

This is very important: Ensure that you do not have Tor, Vidalia,
Privoxy, Polipo or Firefox running.

Run it:

 cd "Tor Browser_de/Tor\ Browser"
 ./"Start Tor Browser"

If you'd like to follow along at home, you can build it from source like so:

 svn co https://tor-svn.freehaven.net/svn/torbrowser/trunk/
 cd build-scripts
 time make -f Makefile.linux build-all-binaries
 time make -f Makefile.linux all-compressed-bundles

If you're on a reasonable system, you should see some results in about
an hour. You'll see all of the localized tar.gz files in ttbl-release/
if all goes well.

Here's a list of known issues that I intend to tackle over the next day
or so:

	openssl needs to be a shared library
	The google search box needs to be removed
	How shall we solve the tarball splitting? shar files?
	I should investigate the Qt warning
	We should use custom icon for ease of use
	If vidalia quits, take firefox and other stuff with it
	Investigate data leaks that happen outside of the TBB directory

Best,
Jacob

----- End forwarded message -----