TOR encryption

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 15 13:16:56 PDT 2009

I think there was an article last year showing that by monitoring a lot of
exit nodes, it was possible in many cases to determine who had sent the
traffic. Meanwhile, a lot of users weren't encrypting, under the assumption
that TOR was encrypting the last hop. As a result someone (I forget who) was
able to see Embassy and other quite sensitive communications.

Actually, since https is readily available, forcing TOR to encrypt that last
hop would actually slow things down, possibly noticeably.

> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:34:36 -0700
> Subject: Re: TOR encryption
> From: coderman at gmail.com
> To: jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
> CC: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
>
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:50 PM, Sarad AV <jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > ... Or am I mistaken. Does Tor nodes not encrypt the payload?
>
> correct. Tor only encrypts from itself as client out to exit node. you
> must encrypt from client application to destination (end-to-end).
>
> best regards,

Quick access to your favorite MSN content and Windows Live with Internet
Explorer 8.
http://ie8.msn.com/microsoft/internet-explorer-8/en-us/ie8.aspx?ocid=B037MSN5
5C0701A