Fwd: (micro)payments for anonymous routing in Tor?

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Sep 24 11:37:59 PDT 2008

Gee, this sounds familiar. :-)

I remember talking about cash-settled routing with Vinnie Moscaritolo,
while bouncing around in his bumper-sticker-festooned Toyota pickup
when I did my first Apple talk in 1995 or so. It's kinda like
Feynman's "patent" for the atomic powered bomber, one of the first
things you bump into when you think about how small bearer
transactions could go. No doubt the Agorics guys were talking about
something equivalent in the "digital silk road" days; turtles all the
way down, and so on.

Cash-settled routing is essentially a streaming cash application, just
like streaming music, or a whole lot of other things, if you hop back
and forth across the particle/wave phenomenon that is the world of
internet protocols.

The simple way to deal with double spending of streaming coins is to
assay (statistical sample) the coins in real-time, do a redeem-reissue
on assay, and to do a redeem/reissue on all your coins after
completion of the transaction to make sure that the coins you have
aren't double spent.

Or not, I suppose. The risk is entirely yours, same as it ever was
with off-line or, in the case of streaming, quasi-offline, transactions.

As an underwriter (I hate the word bank for various reasons), I would
assay coins randomly on redemption and pay for the whole lot to save
myself and my customers time and bandwidth.

As for the coins themselves we were looking at Shamir/Rivest's
micromint for this the first time around, but Nicko wrote a paper for
FC00 showing that simple rsa-signed coins are more scalable from case
zero.

BTW, I think of "coins" as things requiring probabilistic settlement
like this, and "notes" as things requiring individual settlement, like
blind-signature instruments. Obviously, Moore's Law determines the
"thermocline" ("pecunicline"? :-)) for this, the boundry layer between
"coins" and "notes". I chose probabilistic settlement, because
micromint, and other streaming coin applications, pretty much require
a factory to produce the coins, just like it takes a whole factory to
make one penny, the first being the most expensive, economies of
scale, and all that.

Of course, Rivest/Micali's "Peppercoin" is the exception that proves
the notes/coins decision-rule, because, while a completely book-entry
transaction, it's probabilistically settled, Peppercoin being a
"lottery" where you write an arbitrarily large number of biometric-
identity checks and pay only one of them. So Pepper*coin* is really
Pepper*check*, but, obviously, that name would probably make the VCs
eyes glaze over, so its just as well they didn't use it.

Anyway, for TOR itself, like anonymous remailers, cash settlement,
streaming or otherwise, is necessary, because the economics of the
idea at the moment is entirely transfer-priced, meaning that, like
open source -- or other advertisement-supported media :-) -- the
product is included "free" in transactions for other things. Since
anonymity is, shall we say, atomistic in its necessity, it's hard to
support it with something else besides cold, hard, cash.

Cheers,
RAH

Begin forwarded message: