'Unbreakable' quantum cryptography hacked without detection using lasers

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:42:17 PDT 2008

Schneier today is dogging quantum crypto. And whether he's right or wrong in
the long run, the notion that's getting clearly in my own mind is that it's
almost impossible for a company to legitimately need such a system, simply
because it's so easy to screw up everything else.

In other words, QC can only make sense in a near state-of-the-art information
security infrastructure, because what us is quantum encrypting your keys if
someone can merely grab them in the electronic domain? And what need to for an
interloper to do that if you'[ve screwed up the basics and your network is
wide open?

No, In can't see quantum crypto being practically useful in almost any
real-world company.

If someone gets ahold of that paper I'd like to see it.  Are those detectors
burst mode?

-TD