Express Scripts Does it The Right Way

J.A. Terranson measl at mfn.org
Sat Nov 15 18:17:19 PST 2008

<http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/111208-express-scripts-reward.html?hpg1=bn>

 Express Scripts offers $1 million award to nab extortionist in data
breach case
Pharmacy benefits management company's clients now getting extortionist
letters, too.
Network World , 11/12/2008
Sponsored by:

Express Scripts, the pharmacy benefits management company which recently
disclosed an extortionist is demanding money by threatening to expose
millions of patient records the company holds, Wednesday said it has
decided to offer $1 million to nab the perpetrator.

.We.re going on the offense with this reward,. says Steve Littlejohn,
Express Scripts spokesman and vice president of public affairs. The $1
million will be paid to anyone who provides information leading to the
capture and conviction of the extortionist who sent a letter to Express
Scripts in early October that contained personal information on 75 people,
considered members, who use the company.s pharmacy-benefits services. The
extortionist claims to have information on millions more Express Scripts
members and wants money to not reveal it.

Express Scripts has refused to cave in to the extortionist.s demand. But
Littlejohn said that now a small number of its clients, such as companies
offering healthcare plans to employees, are also now receiving extortion
threats with personal information about members. .The letters are similar
enough that we are inclined to think it.s the same person,. says
Littlejohn.

He says Express Scripts and its clients are agreeing not cave in to the
extortionist.s demand for money.

Related Content

Express Scripts, which is working with the FBI, is investigating how the
company may have suffered a data breach, whether it might be an inside
attack or outsider crime. .We have a 24 x 7 investigation underway,.
Littlejohn says. .We.re not excluding anything..

For more information about the extortionist demands and the data breach to
The Express Scripts Web site.

All contents copyright 1995-2008 Network World, Inc.
http://www.networkworld.com