E-gold Court Documents

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Jul 23 15:41:57 PDT 2008

On Jul 23, 2008, at 12:08 PM, John Young wrote:

> lawyers

At the core of e-gold was a very strong belief that "regulatory
arbitrage", as Eric Hughes called it here on cypherpunks, was actually
possible. In many ways, Barry Downey was a legal genius. It seemed to
me that were more domiciles operated in by e-gold than there are
thoraxes (thoraces?) in the Arctic National Mosquito Refuge at Summer
Solstice.

Apparently, that trick never works, as Tim May -- possibly channeling
June Foray :-) -- was constantly saying. Unfortunately, the crypto we
on cypherpunks wanted to solve the problem with isn't cheap enough to
replace book-entry transactions and turn the tide from "transparency"
back to privacy. So far.

There are indications (identity "theft", for instance) that the closer
you get to instantaneity of transactions, the more expensive identity-
based, and thus book-entry, transaction settlement gets. However, what
we really need is something in the opposite direction, a kind of
Moore's Law for digital bearer financial cryptography protocols,
something that shows us that the closer we get to T-0 transaction
settlement, the cheaper digital bearer transactions on ubiquitous
internetworks get, and preferably exponentially so.

Frankly, I would prefer the absence of a special case, needing an
asymptote at T-0 to go run and hide behind, but I expect any freedom-
loving financial professional would take anything he could get at this
point.

In the meantime, remember that "National Technical Means" includes
rubber hoses, folks.

"The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem
of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small
children and great nations."

-David Friedman, 'The Machinery of Freedom'

"Tell that to the Tutsis in Rwanda."

--Timothy C. May

And, apparently, Dr. Jackson, Mr. Downey, et al...

Cheers,
RAH