Report: The End of the Internet Is Near..

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 22:42:01 PDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 3:17 AM, Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
> As for the San Fransisco fiberWAN takeover, does anyone know if this network
> was purely routed, or did this guy also steal telecom passwords as well?
>
> (I'm interested because TCP/IP management functions are in band, but telecom's
> management channel is in the SONET overhead.)

there is no shortage of wild tales surrounding this debacle, it seems...

there was no telecom password(s) to steal, since the city was the
telceom.  they purchase "conditioned" fiber along existing right of
way and run everything from the fiber switches up to the IP routers.
(where "conditioned" means they get a cost break for non-commercial
use of fiber infrastructure).