netsukuku

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jul 2 01:40:38 PDT 2008

Anyone looked into this?

http://netsukuku.freaknet.org/?pag=faq

  0. General
        Q: What is Netsukuku?
        Q: What are its features?
        Q: Why did you choose that name?
        Q: What does it mean "it uses chaos and fractals"?
        Q: Why another p2p network?
        Q: Ehi! You're crazy. It won't work!
        Q: Where are current Netsukuku networks that I can connect to?
        Q: What can I do to help the development of Netsukuku? How can I
           contribute to its growth?

  1. Technical
        Q: Does it scale in a network with A LOT of nodes?
        Q: Does it really works?
        Q: Netsukuku is separated from Internet. How?
        Q: What about the security of my packets? Everyone will be able to
           sniff them!
        Q: How can I join in Netsukuku?
        Q: And how does a new node begin to locate any of the other nodes in
           the network?
        Q: Will you provide "Internet to Netsukuku" tunnels?
        Q: Aside from what I hack myself I was wondering what can be done on
           the Netsukuku network?
        Q: Will we be able to host websites anytime soon?
        Q: Will glibc be able to resolve names for the ANDNA system?
        Q: What sort of performance does Netsukuku have? Is it any good for
           voice chat, video chat, games?

  2. Software
        Q: On what OS does it run?
        Q: Will Netsukuku be ported to Windows?
        Q: Will Netsukuku be ported to PSP / Nintendo DS / wifi phones / PDAs?
        Q: How does it join the network?
        Q: For using a wifi link do I need of an access point? What to do?
        Q: Why the code is not written in java?

--

/                \
   0. General

Q: What is Netsukuku?
A: Netsukuku is a mesh network or a p2p net system that generates and sustains
   itself autonomously. It is designed to handle an unlimited number of nodes
   with minimal CPU and memory resources. Thanks to this feature it can be
   easily used to build a worldwide distributed, anonymous and anarchical
   network, separated from the Internet, without the support of any servers,
   ISPs or control authorities.
   This net is composed by computers linked physically each other, therefore it
   isn't build upon any existing network. Netsukuku builds only the routes which
   connects all the computers of the net.
   In other words, Netsukuku replaces the level 3 of the model iso/osi with
   another routing protocol.
   The Domain Name System is also replaced by a decentralised and distributed
   system: the Abnormal Netsukuku Domain Name Anarchy.

   For more information read the main document:
   http://netsukuku.freaknet.org/doc/main_doc/netsukuku

Q: What are its features?