[IP] US drafting plan to allow government access to any email or Web search

David Farber dave at farber.net
Thu Jan 31 11:17:45 PST 2008

From: jsq at internetperils.com [jsq at internetperils.com] On Behalf Of John S. Quarterman [jsq at quarterman.org]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:17 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: John S. Quarterman; ip
Subject: Re: [IP] US drafting plan to allow government access to any email or Web search

Dave, for IP:

The New Yorker article is available in HTML now:

 http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/01/21/080121fa_fact_wright

Bruce Schneier has nailed the "security vs. privacy" canard that
McConnell promotes:

 "The debate isn't security versus privacy. It's liberty versus control."

 http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/01/securitymatters_0124?currentPage=all&

And while people may think that AT&T should worry about losing liability
protection if it filters all traffic, if McConnell's plan goes through
AT&T and other telcos and cablecos will be able to wrap themselves in
the flag while they're doing it:

 http://riskman.typepad.com/peerflow/2008/01/policing-cybers.html

-jsq