[IP] US fraction of world's traffic

David Farber dave at farber.net
Tue Jan 15 17:28:52 PST 2008

From: David P. Reed [dpreed at reed.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 11:56 AM
To: David Farber
Cc: ip; Whitfield Diffie
Subject: Re: [IP] US fraction of world's traffic

I would think that the more interesting question is not the official
one, but the correct one.  To the extent that NSA uses this as a tool
for claiming that monitoring calls from country A to country B is
legitimate, the "correct" answer matters more.  There seems to be some
dim, secret ruling (perhaps in FISA) that says that it is legal to
intercept bits that pass through the US.

If I were the NSA, and I claim (without being able to prove the
negative) that I'm not, I would pursue the following strategy:

    1. find a way to tamper with foreign switches to route
communications through the US based facilities.  Easy - just send the
right routing-table updates - whether IP or SS7, this is pretty easy.

    2. install deep packet inspection equipment.  This is becoming COTS,
with sales to ISPs starting to drive costs down ane performance up.

    3. select and record into a high-performance RAID cluster.  COTS.

Same techniques work remarkably well for tapping and recording
competitor and economic target traffic.

Interesting thought.   To tap US-US communications, why not just route
the traffic out through Gitmo and back?   There also seems to be dim
secret rulings that allow spying on traffic that goes across the
border.   Supposedly the legal framework is about calls that "terminate"
outside the US.   But I'm sure that "terminate" can be carefully
redefined by good legal scholarship and a few pet lawyers in DoJ and DoD
to include something like storing on disk for one disk rotation (17
msec) and then resending it.

All hypothetically, of course.  :-)