Clue Patrol: VOIP for Anguilla?

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed Jan 2 16:51:21 PST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008, at 6:37 PM, Somebody wrote:

> Which internet service are you going to get? C&W, CC, Weblinks?

Haven't figured that out yet.

We paid Griffin Webster to paint Sandy Ground with 802.11b for the
first time so we could run Lucent WaveLAN PCMCIA cards on the
catamaran we charted for FC2K. Worked all the way out to Prickly Pear:
Half-naked women sunbathing on the cat's bow-net, a whole battery bank
devoted to the daiquiri blender, 3/4 of the planet's cryptographic
talent up on deck talking shop, a custom-fabricated omnidirectional
antenna run up on the (Constitution, of Boston) yacht-club burgee's
lanyard, and, at the other end of the antenna cable, out of the
sunshine, in the dark, at the settee table, four very pale ponytailed
geeks huddled around a Lombard PowerBook, one of them saying, "Geez,
we can get Slashdot allaway out *here*???...Kewlllll"...

'Course, there was also us anchored out on Road Bay at about 10:30pm,
trying to sleep, and Bunton? Hubert? somebody, out there on the beach
with a sound truck hectoring an election-year crowd: "Those rich
*foreigners* out there??? They don't *care* about you! But *I*
do!!!..." or something in that vein. Great for business, that. In the
morning, you couldn't hear yourself think for the sound of all the
yacht windlasses grinding up their anchor-chains off the bottom. The
ones who spoke English, anyway. The French just looked around,
shrugged, and kept drinking their breakfast...

It's awful tempting to just do Weblinks.

I mean, I fire up the laptop, and there Weblinks is, in the Airport
menu. But it's like, what, $60 a month *each* machine, or something,
for DHCP. So it would only be a stopgap, I figure, until a wired
solution was bought, paid for, and, eventually, delivered.

I have this, heh, fantasy, of getting a bonding router and sticking
them *all* together somehow in some Grand Scheme for Anguillian
Bandwidth Cost Effectiveness(tm), but I'm sure that's just another
Anguillian "Mosquito Coast" Ice Plant, or something...

I'd also like a static IP address. Or six. Which is what I have here
with Covad in Rozzy. But one gets the impression that if you ask for
static IP in Anguilla it's like you've gone and tatooed "Poor Impul$e
Control" on your forehead, or something.

Cheers,
RAH
Then, of course, there's microwave line of sight to SXM... Stop me.
Stop me, now.