How long can you go with an expired key?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Feb 25 00:00:04 PST 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 07:30:54PM -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> At the end of 2004, my annual key expiration event was allowed to pass
> without genning a new key: nobody had sent me encrypted mail in ages
> [years], and being the prick that I am, I started a little game instead.

So nobody sends you encrypted mail.

> I left the expired key on the .sig, and started the clock to see how long
> it would take for someone to notice. January 1, 2005 through February 25,
> 2008: about 3 years.

So nobody sends you encrypted mail.

> I had fully expected a CP to be the lucky contestent, but alas, Cpunks

I don't know where cypherpunks are, they're for sure no longer on this
list.

> dont bother with key management anymore - heck, we dont even bother with
> distributed email anymore AFAIK.  Alas, the alert correspondent was

Hey, you only now notice anonymous remailers have been dead for
some half decade?

> a commercial software vendor who makes little widgets.  I had made an
> inquiry about a mass purchase, and they noticed the [now profoundly]
> expired key, and decided to Do The Right Thing and encrypt.  Only they
> couldn't, as the key was deader than dead: it was "Tim May Someone Needs
> Killing Dead".  And, even better, they were nice enough to point it out,
> assuming I was unaware.  I am BCC'ing this post to said vendor: you really
> did do The Right Thing, and I applaud you for it!  That you are the only
> one to notice is, I hope, a sign of the attention to detail I will find in
> your widgets.
>
> So, CP Distributed Lists are dead.  The list, singular is tottering, and
> has been for years, and now, I think I can proclaim Encryption Everywhere

O'Rly?

        (using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
        (Client CN "sp2734", Issuer "sp2734" (not verified))
        by v64.ativel.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 372521364084

> as Dead On Arrival.  Even for so called crypto people.  Tis a sad day in
> Eurasia folks.

FWIW, I still get encrypted mail, about one/month, or so.