How long can you go with an expired key?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 25 01:38:45 PST 2008

Encrypted email continues to be often used around some places.

And encrypted files for transmittal is common, too. Sometimes for
online transmittal, other times for sending by offline means.

Probably what is happening is that those using encryption do not
advertise it as much as in earlier days, not least because of the
ease with which it calls attention to users for traffic analysis by
those who are happy the fools don't know what they reveal.

And the more popluar encryption programs have no doubt been
compromised -- that is what "enterprise" means: to lure or
entrap crypto users into overly trusting supposedly secure
encryption for easy snooping on employees and citizens.

No serious info sec lover will use a single means for privacy.
And will always beware of absolutely trustworthy anything. That
is a mantra here.

Turncoats abound, cpunks no different than anyone in succumbing
to contracts, bribery, threats, compromise, jealousy, hatred,
bitterness, and the rest of excuses shits give themselves for
screwing those who counted on others being more stupid than
they are.

Recall that only a small number of cpunks ever posted to the list,
and that remains the case. And quite a few of those posted to
stimulate confessions and revealing info sec disclosures.

Still not clear if public crypto was a masterful hoodwink, but likely
is, perfectly fitting the internet's astonishing success at inducing
millions to blab and brag and believe a new era had arrived, privacy
protected by mathematics and open testing, not wanting to believe
the mathematicians and testers got to make a living doing what
has to be done to keep the whining family happy, burp, ahem,
ROTFL, etc.

Duplicity is inate, the boyos argue and have faith in, to justify
their rigging the info sec game.