[IP] Cold Boot Attacks on Disk Encryption

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Feb 21 03:57:43 PST 2008

Dave,

The paper published today makes some pretty strong claims about the
vulnerabilities of Microsoft's BitLocker, Apple's FileVault,
TrueCrypt, Linux's dm-crypt subsystem, and similar products.

So I put the folks behind it to a test. I gave them my MacBook laptop
with FileVault turned on, powered up, encrypted swap enabled, and the
screen saver locked.

They were in fact able to extract the 128-bit AES key; I've put screen
snapshots of their FileVault bypass process here:
http://www.news.com/2300-1029_3-6230933-1.html

And my article with responses from Microsoft, Apple, and PGP is here:
http://www.news.com/8301-13578_3-9876060-38.html

Bottom line? This is a very nicely done attack. It's going to make us
rethink how we handle laptops in sleep mode and servers that use
encrypted filesystems (a mail server, for instance).

-Declan