undersea cable cuts

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 11 11:49:27 PST 2008

No real ruminations are needed on these subjects: They're known and by no
means secret.

Regenerators are mostly gone now, both on land and undersea, replaced by the
optical fiber amplifier.

Undersea cables carry electrical power through a lining in their sheeth.

An OTDR can't see past a traditional regenerator: The fiber span is
terminated. (It also can't see past an optical fiber amplifier because of the
isolators that keep the ASE from lasing inside the amplifier.)

Tapping an optical fiber is absolutely trivial, more trivial than tapping a
(copper) cable carrying an electrical signal. This isn't inside inside
knowledge, even the guys in the trucks know it.

Tapping an undersea optical cable, however, is a completely different matter,
and it's VERY difficult, though routinely done by NSA, etc...

Undersea cables do occasionally break, but the net-quoted statistic of
approximately 12 breaks at any one time throughout the world is entirely
misleading: There are millions of route-miles spanning the Atlantic, the
Pacific and everywhere else. This means that the odds of three or four breaks
in a small area are practically zero. They are designed to be extremely
resilient, and this design choice has been quite successful. A simple anchor
(even from a large ship) is not in general going to cut a cable.

-TD

DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk> CC: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net> Subject: Re: undersea cable