undersea cable cuts

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 8 12:21:26 PST 2008

There's been lots of net speculation about maliciousness, but for me the odds
of 3/4 failures of undersea cables in such  a relatively  small area and over
such a short amount of time is extremely suspicious, particularly given how
robust such cables are. (ie, there's maybe a dozen in the whole world at any
one time, over millions of route miles).

Whether these are JbT-type terrorists is, I think, doubtful given the revenues
traveling over these things and particularly how  ineffective the cuts were.
The cuts certainly appeared to me to be attempts to get a working+protect
sides of fiber rings by people who didn't have access to that level of detail
about how the rings are deployed over the wavelength/fiber/cable pairs.

-TD

> Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:05:07 -0800e> To: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net> From:
bill.stewart at pobox.com> Subject: Re: undersea cable cuts> > > Hadn't heard
this was malicious ... you have a reference?> > The fourth failure turned out
not to be a cable cut,> just some kind of equipment power problem.> >
Certainly once the third cut happened,> things look pretty suspicious even if
they don't turn out deserve it.> And there are different kinds of terrorists
out there -> the ones that wear government uniforms (or wear cheap suits> but
work for governments) don't always take the credit themselves.>  > At 07:35 PM
2/4/2008, Sarad AV wrote:> >'terrorists' take credit and are proud of their
actions.> >nothing of that kind has happened yet.> >I guess that satellite
communication is another alternative.> > Satellites have very limited
bandwidth compared to fiber.> They may be ok for countries that don't have
useful infrastructure,> like Iraq, Afghanistan, and most of Africa,> but they
don't begin to replace the internet or private network connectivity> that was
on the fiber systems that were cut;> I don't know how big the fourth cable
was.
Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail.-get your
"fix".