undersea cable cuts

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Mon Feb 4 22:05:07 PST 2008

 > Hadn't heard this was malicious ... you have a reference?

The fourth failure turned out not to be a cable cut,
just some kind of equipment power problem.

Certainly once the third cut happened,
things look pretty suspicious even if they don't turn out deserve it.
And there are different kinds of terrorists out there -
the ones that wear government uniforms (or wear cheap suits
but work for governments) don't always take the credit themselves.

At 07:35 PM 2/4/2008, Sarad AV wrote:
>'terrorists' take credit and are proud of their actions.
>nothing of that kind has happened yet.
>I guess that satellite communication is another alternative.

Satellites have very limited bandwidth compared to fiber.
They may be ok for countries that don't have useful infrastructure,
like Iraq, Afghanistan, and most of Africa,
but they don't begin to replace the internet or private network connectivity
that was on the fiber systems that were cut;
I don't know how big the fourth cable was.