[IP] A Clearer Picture on Voter ID - New York Times

David Farber dfarber at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Feb 3 05:46:46 PST 2008

   #[1]alternate [2]NYTimes.com Opinion RSS

   February 3, 2008

   Op-Ed Contributors

                         A Clearer Picture on Voter ID

   By JIMMY CARTER and JAMES A. BAKER III

   THIS is a major election year. Unfortunately, our two major political
   parties Democratic and Republican continue to disagree on some of the
   rules that apply to the administration of our elections. This divide
   is perhaps most contentious when the issue becomes one of whether
   voters should present photo identification to vote.

   Twenty-seven states require or request some form of ID to vote.
   Supporters of this policy argue that if voters identify themselves
   before voting, election fraud will be reduced. Opponents of an ID
   requirement fear it will disenfranchise voters, especially the poor,
   members of minority groups and the elderly, who are less likely than
   other voters to have suitable identification. The debate is polarized
   because most of the proponents are Republicans and most of the
   opponents are Democrats.

   In 2005, we led a bipartisan Commission on Federal Election Reform and
   concluded that both parties concerns were legitimate a free and fair
   election requires both ballot security and full access to voting. We
   offered a proposal to bridge the partisan divide by suggesting a
   uniform voter photo ID, based on the federal Real ID Act of 2005, to
   be phased in over five years. To help with the transition, states
   would provide free voter photo ID cards for eligible citizens; mobile
   units would be sent out to provide the IDs and register voters. (Of
   the 21 members of the commission, only three dissented on the
   requirement for an ID.)

   No state has yet accepted our proposal. Whats more, when it comes to
   ID laws, confusion reigns. The laws on the books, mainly backed by
   Republicans, have not made it easy enough for voters to acquire an ID.
   At the same time, Democrats have tended to try to block voter ID
   legislation outright instead of seeking to revise that legislation to
   promote accessibility. When lower courts have considered challenges to
   state laws on the question of access, their decisions have not been
   consistent. And in too many instances, individual judges have appeared
   to vote along partisan lines.

   Fortunately, the Supreme Court has taken on a case involving a
   challenge to Indianas voter ID law. The court, which heard arguments
   last month and is expected to render a judgment this term, has the
   power finally to bring clarity to this crucial issue. A study by
   American Universitys Center for Democracy and Election Management led
   by Robert Pastor, who also organized the voting commission illustrates
   the problem at hand. The center found that in three states with ID
   requirements Indiana, Mississippi and Maryland only about 1.2 percent
   of registered voters lacked a photo ID. While the sample was small,
   and the margin of error was therefore high, we were pleased to see
   that so few registered voters lacked photo IDs. That was pretty good
   news.

   The bad news, however, was this: While the numbers of registered
   voters without valid photo IDs were few, the groups least likely to
   have them were women, African-Americans and Democrats. Surveys in
   other states, of course, may well present a different result.

   We hope the court will approach the challenges posed by the Indiana
   law in a bipartisan or nonpartisan way. As we stated in our 2005
   report, voter ID laws are not a problem in and of themselves. Rather,
   the current crop of laws are not being phased in gradually and in a
   fair manner that would increase not reduce voter participation. The
   recent decision by the Department of Homeland Security to delay
   putting in place the Real ID Act for at least five years suggests that
   states should move to photo ID requirements gradually and should do
   more to ensure that free photo IDs are easily available.

   The Supreme Court faces a difficult and important decision. If the
   justices divide along partisan lines, as lower courts have, they would
   add to the political polarization in the country. We hope that they
   will find a nonpartisan path that combines both legitimate concerns
   ballot security and full access to voting and underscores the
   importance of applying these laws in a fair and gradual way. It is
   also important to remember that our commissions report addressed other
   pressing election concerns. There is much more that Congress and state
   legislatures need to do to improve the electoral process and restore
   confidence in our democracy. We have outlined 87 such steps in our
   commission report.

   In the meantime, the Supreme Court can lead the way on the voter ID
   issue. It has the opportunity to inspire the states, our national
   leaders and the entire country to bridge the partisan divide on a
   matter that is important to our democracy. It can support voter ID
   laws that make it easy to vote but tough to cheat.

   Jimmy Carter was the 39th president. James A. Baker III was the
   secretary of state in the George H. W. Bush administration.

     * [4]World
     * [5]U.S.
     * [6]N.Y. / Region
     * [7]Business
     * [8]Technology
     * [9]Science
     * [10]Health
     * [11]Sports
     * [12]Opinion
     * [13]Arts
     * [14]Style
     * [15]Travel
     * [16]Jobs
     * [17]Real Estate
     * [18]Automobiles
     * [19]Back to Top

   [20]Copyright 2008 [21]The New York Times Company
     * [22]Privacy Policy
     * [24]Corrections
     * [25]RSS
     * [26]First Look
     * [27]Help
     * [28]Contact Us
     * [29]Work for Us
     * [30]Site Map

   [&t=&s=2&ui=460598&r=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2enytimes%2ecom%
   2f2008%2f02%2f03%2fopinion%2f03carter%2ehtml&u=www%2enytimes%2ecom
   %2f2008%2f02%2f03%2fopinion%2f03carter%2ehtml%3fpagewanted%3dprint]

   [31]Archives [32][feed-icon-10x10.jpg] [33]Powered by Listbox