JanusPA - A hardware Privacy Adapter using Tor

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 05:14:42 PST 2008

   Hello Everyone,

   I've been working on a project for a couple of months now that I'm
   sure would be of interest to some of you.  The goal was to apply the
   same transparent model coderman and I  used with JanusVM and Tor VM
   into hardware.  I wanted something small that you could connect, power
   on, and use.  Literally plug-n-privacy.  After several weeks of
   searching the web looking at different hardware configuration, specs,
   etc, etc, I decided to go with Gumstix(.com).

   The privacy adapter is a ARM 400MHz Xscale CPU with 64MB RAM
   (@100MHz), 16MB of Flash memory for storage, and *TWO* 10/100
   NICs.  It uses Linux for the OS.

   The first thought that many people get, including myself, have is that
   it is not powerful enough to run Tor.  Well, after 2 months of
   breaking this in, I'm very happy with the results.

   I ran this as a Tor server for about 4 days, and got a good baseline
   for how much data it can handle.  As a Tor server, it was pushing
   about 250KB/sec (125KB in, 125 KB out).

   As a Tor client, the best speed test I got was about 1.2MB/sec.  BTW,
   that was after about 45 minutes of "SIGNAL NEWNYM" and speedtest
   before I found a fast circuit.

   Here's the URL for what I've got so far.
   [1]http://www.janusvm.com/goldy/JanusPA/index.html
   It is lacking all forms of documentation, and the source code needs to
   be cleaned up some.
   It does have a general description, the index of the soon to come
   documentation, openssl speed test benchmarks, pictures, and stats of
   when I tested it as a Tor server.

   After about two months of using it, I've never felt more secure and
   satisfied when using Tor.  This is a hardware router that routes your
   traffic through the Tor network, it's small, and is easy to use.  As
   for security, all TCP and DNS are routed through Tor, and everything
   else is dropped.  So all the nasty side-channel attacks that us
   hackers have been working on to leak your real IP address
   are rendered useless.

   But there is good news and bad news.

   The bad news:

   The manufacture (Gumstix.com) is "Phasing Out" this particular setup
   at the end of DECEMBER 2008!!  That's in 10 days!  Any orders after
   Dec. 31, 2008 will have to be in bulk orders, which is 120 or more
   units.  Shitty.  Because of the short amount of time left to get this
   hardware, I've jumped the gun and chosen to notify the Tor community
   about this hardware before it is gone or out of a practical price
   range for most of us.

   The good news:

   I've been in communication with a very nice gentleman at gumstix who
   said "Gumstix is also working on a netDUO expansion board for Overo,
   although a release date has not been announced."  There is reasonable
   hope that there new motherboad product line (the Overo) will at some
   point have a dual NIC expansion board.

   So this is somewhat a conflicting situation.  I've spent months
   working on this awesome anonymity adpater, and it's about to be
   discontinued without knowing an exact date as to when the new line
   with have the capabilities to do what needs to be done.  ugh.  I'm
   very much looking forward to their new product line when a dual NIC
   expansion board is available, but I don't know when that'll be.  If
   anyone is interested in this, but cannot afford to buy hardware at the
   moment, please contact Don Anderson ([2]don at gumstix.com)and encourage
   the idea of extending their phase out date or express and interest in
   a dual NIC expansion board for their new Overo product line.

   If anyone is interested in getting a hardware based Tor solution, you
   might want to consider buying a gumstix soon.

   You'll need the following.

   Connex 400mx Motherboard:
   [3]http://www.gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&prod
   ucts_id=136

   netDUO-mmc/SD expansion board:
   [4]http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products
   _id=156

   4.0v Power Adapter:
   [5]http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products
   _id=148

   Screws and spacer kit:
   [6]http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products
   _id=161

   This will run you $237.00 USD + shipping and handling.

   I would also *HIGHLY* recommend the following because flashing the
   device over the network is very, very risky and has resulted in me
   having to re-flash it through the serial port many, many times.

   Serial null-modem cable:
   [7]http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products
   _id=85

   Serial port connector:
   [8]http://gumstix.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products
   _id=106

   This will run you $32.00 USD.

   If anyone is seriously thinking about a good hardware based solution
   for Tor, I'd buy the gumstix now.  In fact, I just bought a couple
   more just in case mine breaks. I'll have the source code up withing a
   week, two tops  The FULL documentation will take about a bit longer to
   get done.

   Well, that's about it.  Feedback is welcome.

   Best Regards,

   Kyle

   PS.  Happy Holidays!