Tromboning: Internet Traffic Begins to Bypass the U.S.

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sun Aug 31 10:51:57 PDT 2008

* R. A. Hettinga:

> "Tromboning". That's a word I've been looking for.
>
> Tromboning is what happens when I send packets between the Cable &
> Wireless DSL line and the Caribbean Cable cablemodem on the other side
> of the living room in Seafeathers Bay -- via New York (and
> Washington), and/or Miami (and Washington), and/or Atlanta (and
> Washington), not to mention Washington.

I don't think this hasn't got to do much with Antigua.  It's also not
specific to North America.  It's very difficult to create market
conditions which result in low-latency routing, so only smaller
countries with a sufficently developed Internet economy have it.

(The U.S. issues in this area are so bad that even a network with
extensive peering hasn't got drastically better connectivity to major
U.S. sites than a consumer DSL line in some European countries.)