Tech wonders on homeland security horizon

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Wed Sep 26 07:46:12 PDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 04:00:58PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> (Don't you feel much safer, already?)

Not really...

> Such license plate recognition systems, fixed and mobile, already are
> stopping criminals in cars in New York City, Washington D.C. and 23 states,
> according to Mark Windover, president of Remington ELSAG Law Enforcement
> Systems, which is marketing its product to 250 U.S. police agencies.

I'm really surprised that license plates aren't already
explicitly machine-readable.  How hard would it be to overprint a
barcode that only shows up when scanned with IR?  No OCR problems, and
you still get the "advantages" of a passive tracking system, except more
accurate.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"Angry men in combat fatigues talking to God on a two-way