[Politech] MIT student picking up friend at airport nearly shot, charged with "infernal machine" crime [fs]

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Sep 22 06:25:33 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 02:19:07AM -0700, Sarad AV wrote:

> The person could very well have been a suicide bomber

Even the most moronic suicide bomber (after all, you have
to be a moron to be one) would use an explosive belt
or vest, with loose garments above.

> and suicide bombers I suppose have no fear and their

Of course they're afraid, and under a great deal
of emotional stress.

> actions unpredictable. It should have been clear to
> this person that it might be risky for herself
> considering the current level of paranoia at airports.

The current level of paranoia does not improve the security,
yet causes considerable damage to the travel industry and
travelers. Come on, ethyl nitrate has been an old hat
in 1980s, and it's trivial to form nitrate-less explosives
as hardcase luggage. They didn't even think of training dogs for
TATP, which is what I used to blow things up, as a kid,
using RF teledetonation. As Schneier said, this is pure
security theater. And even a lousy play, as these go.

There are no real terrorists, orelse our civilisation would
cease to exist.

I've followed up on all so-called terrorist plots as reported
by the local press, and none of them was credible. None.
I wouldn't be surprised if a fair fraction of them was pure
fabrication, or false flag operations.

Why this is being done should be obvious.