[silk] Everyone's surveilling

shiv sastry cybersurg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 03:11:41 PDT 2007

The link I quoted from was carefully selected of course.

The ONLY crime whose likelihood is reduced by security cameras is said to be
shoplifting.

Regarding spying and surveillance, the more you spy, the greater the amount of
resources you need to analyse the recorded data. In the absence of that you
are recording trash that is good only for framing people who may have done
nothing.

The Indian nuclear tests in 1998 were done under 24 hour surveillance by US
satellites. But they didn't nail anyone. But such inconvenient facts don't
prevent anyone from surveilling more and more and more. As a result I believe
that it is important to behave like one is being watched, reserving really
private stuff to periods which you can document as being really private, or
private enough for you to be comfortable.

But that is all the freedom one has really. All "freedom" must be found within
these constraints.

A senior of mine, a Professor of Internal Medicine wrote a book called "Trick
or Treat" which has nothing to do with surveillance, but he describes some of
the less desirable side effects of overinvestigation in medicine - using all
the high tech tools available. Often, such an overinvestigated person is
discovered to have a previously undiscovered and completely unrelated
symptomless condition that may not even require treatment. But its accidental
discovery leads to anxiety, further investigation and, sometimes, even
needless treatment.

Surveillance for disease has become commonplace in many countries in the
world. Surveillance for diabetes, heart disease, bone disease, dental
disease, breast cancer, cancer of the cervix, colon cancer, and cancer of the
stomach are "routine" in some part of the world or the other. While these
tests are often a matter of choice, and one can refuse, I know of instances
in which a person who fails to submit to surveillance but later develops a
disease that could have been detected earlier is "punished" because his
insurance will not cover him for not having cooperated earlier.

Medical records of course serve as a permanent record that can pin you down
and make you a crime suspect depending on how national laws choose to use the
information.

A national genetic database that is open for police to look at can always be
compared with genetic samples from cells found on cigarette butts, or other
sources at the scene of a crime. If you happened to be there - you join the
list of suspects.

shiv

----- End forwarded message -----