PlayStation 3 predicts next US president

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Fri Nov 30 20:24:34 PST 2007

Weger, B.M.M. de wrote:
> We also announce two different Win32 executables that
> have identical MD5 hash values. This can be made to
> happen for any two executable files. This implies a
> vulnerability in software integrity protection and
> code signing schemes that still use MD5. See
> http://www.win.tue.nl/hashclash/SoftIntCodeSign for
> details.

That MD5 is broken is of course old news.

I observe that US authorities have decided on a hash,
found it was broken, decided on a new hash, found it was
broken also, and are now where we are.

Russian authorities decided on a 256 bit hash in 1990:
GOST R 34.11-94.  It is still good as far as anyone
knows, and has never needed to be changed.

This entirely confirms my prejudices about the US
government cryptographers.

----- End forwarded message -----