[IP] Re: Good comments on (djf) fingerprinting in Japan

David Farber dave at farber.net
Fri Nov 23 12:27:03 PST 2007

   Begin forwarded message:
   From: Jonathan Weinberg <[1]weinberg at msen.com>
   Date: November 23, 2007 1:50:59 PM EST
   To: David Farber <[2]dave at farber.net>
   Subject: Re: [IP] Re:   fingerprinting in Japan
   Joi's absolutely right (as were other folks who wrote to me off-list)
   that the US does requires photography and fingerprinting from folks
   *applying* for immigrant visas and green cards -- so it would be wrong
   to say that the US program is much  less privacy-intrusive than
   Japan's just by virtue of not requiring "every time" fingerprinting
   for green card holders.  (Joi's also right that the US program is
   broader than Japan's in that DHS makes even folks just passing through
   as transit visitors satisfy full visa and fingerprinting requirements,
   and in his broader point that US citizens complaining about Japan's
   program are finding a mote in another's eye while ignoring the beam in
   their own.)
   There's still something interesting going on here, though,
   regarding "every time" fingerprinting for green card holders.  Japan
   has instituted "every time" fingerprinting for permanent residents
   *even though* permanent residents in Japan have already been
   fingerprinted and photographed for their alien registration cards.
   That approach is consistent with a key professed reason for the US
   fingerprinting requirement, which is to ensure that the
   person presenting herself at the border is the same person to whom the
   travel documents were issued.  If the US DHS really, really took
   seriously its desire to make sure that people weren't entering the US
   with forged or stolen green cards, it would require "every
   time" fingerprinting of permanent residents just as Japan seems to
   be doing.  But it's apparently decided that it doesn't want to deal
   with the political fallout of such a move; in terms of their ability
   to push back politically, folks entering the US on temporary visas
   or through the Visa Waiver Program are an easier target.
   Jon
   Jonathan Weinberg
   Professor of Law, Wayne State University
   [3]weinberg at wayne.edu