For those who missed it: Hushmail is pwnd

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Wed Nov 7 11:18:57 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 06:43:02AM -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:
> Hushmail and DEA have an "MLAT" ("Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty")???
>
> Wow.

Sweet syphillitic Jeebus!  I have *got* to stop glossing over the stuff
in comp.encryption.general.  I saw a bunch of items on this go by, but
didn't see the MLAT mentioned in the headlines.  (maybe RSS isn't all
that great?)

Note that the MLAT is actually between the US and Canada, and
according to
http://travel.state.gov/law/info/judicial/judicial_690.html, it's been
in effect since Jan. 24, 1990.  So while Hushmail is pwned, it's pwned
by Canada, which is in turn pwned by the US.  But then, a difference
which makes no difference isn't really a difference.  I'm just glad I
never used/trusted Hush.
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
   "A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy."