[gsc] infinite space at Loom!

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Wed May 30 20:03:15 PDT 2007

--- begin forwarded text

 Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 21:41:47 -0400
 From: Patrick Chkoreff <patrick at fexl.com>
 To: gold-silver-crypto at rayservers.com
 Subject: Re: [gsc] infinite space at Loom!

 Graham Kelly wrote:

 > On Wed, 30 May 2007 15:57:42 -0400, "Patrick Chkoreff"
 >> The Loom system only charges for "real estate" used in the Grid or
 >> Archive.  There is no charge for moves.
 >
 > Patrick, so you are charging real estate fees, on an infinite amount of
 > space? LOL Gotta luv it!

 Food for thought.  The mathematical space is astronomically large.  The
 physical disk space is very large.

 What are the costs?  It's a mixed bag.  Disk drives are cheap, but
 power, bandwidth, and human energy are not so cheap.  I personally have
 spent countless hours on various prototypes, approaches, and
 philosophies, and so have my colleagues.

 Of course, the value of a thing is utterly unrelated to the cost of
 producing it.  The value is determined solely by its appeal and utility
 to customers.

 So that's our job:  to raise the market value of our product beyond the
 cost to ourselves.  On that point, I think that the next turn of the
 screw will be the most important one yet:  the addition of new asset
 types into a folder.

 -- Patrick

--- end forwarded text

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA