[Dgcchat] major milestone for loom

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Mon May 28 19:53:49 PDT 2007

At 7:33 PM -0700 5/28/07, Bill Stewart wrote:
>I'm guessing it probably has something to do with payments?

see <https://loom.cc/?function=grid_tutorial&mode=advanced>

or <https://loom.cc/?function=help&topic=grid&mode=advanced>

or <https://loom.cc/?function=help&topic=archive&mode=advanced>

to get a better idea.

(What? I didn't say "RTFM", did I? Hell no. The height of cypherpunk
decorum, I am. I merely found the salient bits of available text <in about
30 seconds of link poking, but, hey, some people are to busy...>, and put
them up there for the Old Man in pre-chewed form. As Sophie Tucker said to
her boyfriend Ernie when he claimed that her chest was flat and her box too
tight, "Get off my ass, Ernie"...)

<Misinformed-speculation>

It's a response to the Feds attempting to take down e-gold.

Haven't messed with it, myself.

Kinda like when the cypherpunks list went to a decentralized network.

Or, better, remember when Black Unicorn joked about issuing bearer
certificates backed by a 12 pack of Original Coke?

Or, less likely, Perry Metzger's gold-denominated Burmese opium futures?

Or, to get all financial and stuff, Fisher Black and Gene Fama's early
poking about with something they called "New Monetary Economics"?

(No, I don't think the Loom guys have any idea what that means either...)

No, it's not bearer. I don't think. Well, Venkat says it's bearer, but it's
not blinded, so I disagree, but, beggars can't be choosers, and us folks in
the peanut gallery get what we pay for.
</M-S>

The flurry of thrash on the gold-currency lists about this has been enough
to make me zing an obscure forward over here, to confound you all, just for
fun.  As an unpopular Missouri cypherpunk used to say around here, go team,
beat state.

Cheers,
RAH

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA