[FoRK] PubSub 2.0

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Mon May 7 23:01:29 PDT 2007

On May 7, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>* So, I walk out of my house, turn on my cell phone, and I'm
>immediately hit with event-driven porn spam?

That could happen.

Thankfully, a significant percentage of everyone involved is
demanding a strong digital signature framework to be de facto
mandatory, something which I personally strongly support.  It is
optional, but there are enough people lucid enough to not want to re-
invent SMTP poorly who are willing to argue that case that it will
probably minimize spam opportunities in implementation.  What that
looks like in practice is hard to say, but I think digital signatures
will be standard fare for mandatory feeds.  However, that does not
prevent upstream digital signature folks like the telcos from whoring
their certs and channel to anyone with cash.  It is very desirable
advertising real estate.

This is being implemented in most countries by regulatory fiat.  To
the extent that I have influence on the process, I have been a strong
advocate of a useful digital signature framework for ascertaining
source authority (and filterinig on that basis) at a minimum, and
potentially much stricter profiles.  We'll see what it really looks
like in five or ten years.  The people that want no cryptographic
controls at all ("because it is simple") are in the minority.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers

----- End forwarded message -----