[gsc] e-gold indictment unsealed

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri May 4 11:55:53 PDT 2007

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 11:18:53AM -0700, Eric Cordian wrote:

> The government has a long history, particularly where the IRS is

IRS who?

> concerned, of ruling that what something actually is, is not
> necessarily what it is called.

The governments have a long history of using whatever means available
to maintain their monopoly -- be it exertion of force or maintaining
the mint.

> This will extend the "know your customer" BS to a plethora of other
> businesses, and subject them to the same onerous regulatory climate
> banks now experience.

I'm not quite following you here. Examples?

> This will be the death of e-cash.

Banknotes are numbered, and soon, RFID-tagged to remove any residual transaction
anonymity. The only thing that's left is barter, which will also be made
illegal at some point (at which everybody revolts, and we hang the
bastards -- but not yet).