[IP] EFF: Secret Surveillance Evidence Unsealed in AT&T Spying Cas

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 14 09:54:29 PDT 2007

Well, this barely counts as WAN! My expertise increases exponentially as you
get to the core.
However, I do happen to know a small amount here, and the issues are
numerous and tricky.

Let's go for the main question:
>Is there a special device
>class for residential fiber Ethernet, and if yes, how much do these
>things cost?

Well, basically yes: It's called PON (Passive Optical Network) and there are
several flavors. The original was A-PON, wherein a home-based ONT that sits
on the outside of a residence outputs ethenet into the home and maps the
packets onto ATM over OC-12 upstream (as I remember) and OC-48 down. It's a
weird technology in that a single OC-48 is split lots of times (32, I think)
and each ONT just grabs the ATM VPI that corresponds to its owner (upstream
is even weirder: All of the upstream ONTs time their burst-mode output so as
to glue together a single coherent OC-12 upstream).

The real winner here is probably going to be GPON, which is basically an
optically split ethernet. Each ONT is given a 'window' wherein it can
broadcast upstream packets. I'm not too in touch with this technology, but
I'd suspect a single GbE port on the headend switch/router can support 64
endusers. And often, these endusers can be an apartment building with a
switch in the basement. If you only have a single fiber coming out of the
headend, then the 'obvious' upgrade is to use Coarse-DWDM which can easily
provide up to 16 cheap wavelengths. In other words, that's 16 GbE ports (no,
the PHY is not quite the same as the GBICs have to be burst mode).

BT and other big companies have been building out fiber-to-the-home
architectures using PONs, and I think I've heard prices quoted for the ONT
as low as $250, but I could be wrong.

Of course, there are  lot of people who don't like PON, and depending on how
much fiber you've got in the nieghborhood and the quality of the copper in
the last mile, PON might easily not deliver as much bandwidth as a hybrid
approach.

-TD